Thursday, July 3, 2014

California Trip: Part II - Sea World

After landing in San Diego on Tuesday and driving to Imperial, we turned around and headed back to San Diego to go to Sea World.  We debated about going another day, but Leo's daughter Melissa was going with us and she had called off work to go.  In some ways it would have made sense to stay in San Diego that first night, but like I said, Melissa called off to go with us and it just wouldn't have been right for us to do that.

Recently, Sea World has taken some heat because one of the Killer Whale trainers was attacked and killed during a performance.  I am not sure when all that took place, but I remember seeing it on the news.  I also watched the movie Blackfish, which is about keeping Killer Whales in captivity and what it does to them.

I mentioned this because it was quite obvious that this backlash has changed the way Sea World does things.  They were over the top with how much they mentioned all the good things Sea World does for animals.  The other telling thing was; the trainers did not get in the tank with the Orcas.

Here is my thought on the matter.  I can see where the training for the shows might be cruel to the animals, but other than that how is Sea World different from a zoo?  Either way, it is just really amazing to see these animals up close and the girls loved it.

Charlotte getting ready to put her hand it the tank with the cleaner fish
The cleaner fish would clean dead skin from your hands.  It tickled.
Charlotte liked all the tanks where you could touch the animals.
Small sharks that you could pet
Flamingos just walking though the park 
Charlotte petting the sharks
Penguins swimming outside at the Penguin house
Beluga whale outside of the water...
...now under the water
Dolphins performing during a show
Jumping in the air
Waving Good-bye
The crew before the killer whale show.  In order, Melissa, Luke, Drea,
Charlotte, Laura, Layla, and Leo.  We sat in the last row of the splash
zone.  We were lucky...others not so much.  It was hilarious to watch though.
I loved getting to see these animals so close
Jumping high in the air

Flipping

Charlotte getting her picture with a sea turtle
Drea, Luke, and Charlotte
Drea, Charlotte, and Luke
Luke riding a sea turtle
The kids driving a boat

4 comments:

Stephen said...

Another awesome post. Looks like you all had a great time.

Rich, Teresa and Kalee said...

I love Sea World! Glad you guys had a fun day there!

Anonymous said...

These pictures are so totally awesome! The colors are amazing. Personally, while I sort of see the point about animals in captivity, I still loved Sea World when I was there. It actually was my favorite place to visit both in Calf. and in Florida. I, too was impressed with the flamingos and how very pink they were. I guess they ate alot of shrimp there in Sea World! Loved Charlotte sitting on the sea turtle and just seeing all of you in general, enjoying your time together! Lots of Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Sea World is my favorite park of all. There is a lot to do and see. My girls loved it too. It is like a zoo and it maybe the only way to protect some of our most endangered species. The most amazing experience I ever had with a dolphin was in the Bay. Two years ago a pod of dolphins swam right up to the boat. They are way more awesome in the wild and breath taking then I could have ever imagined. The coolest thing was one came out of the water and stared at me for maybe 30 seconds looking at me right in the eye. Even Richard who has seen them all his life was blown away when this happened. This year they are back and the pod is bigger. We have seen two little babies with their moms. Maybe my friend is one of the moms. I'm glad you had a great time. Wish I was there with all of you.
Karen