Thursday, July 24, 2008

Learning to let her be her

Drea's into dressing herself lately and it is really stretching me but it's good for me. I tend to like things to be done the "right" way or maybe I should say the normal way. Well, I'm slowly learning that even though Drea's way seems wrong it may seem perfectly right to her.

So, funniest thing in the world, you have to see her put her shirts on over her feet. She does it like she's putting a skirt on and then pulls it the rest of the way up and puts her arms in it. This works okay with her summer tank tops but watching her put a long sleeve pajama shirt on this way is hilarious.

And it makes me crazy, I have told her a hundred times that this is the wrong way but tonight while she struggled to get her pajama top on I realized that it doesn't really matter.

She got it on. And all by herself. So why do I care? I decided I don't anymore. Just because it's not my "right" way doesn't mean it's the wrong way. When we were younger my brother always used to get in trouble from our stepdad for eating his pizza upside down. Who cares? He always ate it over a plate and he always held the cheese and pepperoni on - so who cares. Do we worry too much about doing things the right way?

So I'm learning. Learning to let her be her. Until she starts ripping the clothing while putting them on I will let her way be the right way. And you know what the more I ignore it the sooner she'll probably do it my way. : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Stace! Thought this was interesting because I went through similar things as you with dressing herself (Karen). This might sound silly but she always wore her underpants backward. It made me crazy, until I finally decided it was silly of me to care. I didn't feel uncomfortable because SHE wore the underwear backwards. In time she worn them like everyone else. Andy worn heavy winter clothes in the summer & Laura, she definitely danced to her own drummer. By then I just let her wear whatever crazy outfit she wanted. Love, Noni