Thursday, July 24, 2008

Read any good books lately?

I have fallen in love with author, Donald Miller.

I don't have much time to read apart from my devotions and Bible. Donald Miller's books have given me a thirst for reading and that has been so exciting to me. He says things in such a unique manner that it makes me think and that is what I have been missing in my extra-cirricular reading.

Blue Like Jazz was my first Donald Miller book and it was awesome! The complete title is Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts about Christian Spirituality. And that is exactly what it is. A real look at spirituality through his eyes. He takes you through personal experiences in his life and you feel like you are on the journey with him. I couldn't put the book down. Andy read it right after me and he rarely reads unless it's required for a class. And then we passed it on to a couple friends, too.

When we were getting ready for the beach I decided to order a second of his books. I thought it would be a great beach read. Searching for God Knows What has been completely a uplifting adventure. He takes a look at how we have always "figured out" the Bible and how we always try to read it as a self-help book with steps and formulas to apply to our life. He goes on to show that it is so much more than a formula to get to heaven. It is much more relational than it has ever been made to be. I have been strengthened in my Christianity by this read and renewed in the ideas that his rambling brain presents.

Anyway, just a suggestion for anyone who wants a great book to read. He is an incredible writer that I enjoy very much! I can't wait to get my hands on the next one. I think he has two more out there that I haven't read yet.

3 comments:

PJ said...

stacey,
did you see that Donald Miller did the benediction prayer for the democratic convention on the first night? he wrote it on his webpage. i thought he did a pretty good job.

April said...

I like all 3 of Donald Miller's books in that series. If you like him, I'd also recommend Rob Bell's "Velvet Elvis" and "Sex God." And my most recent read that rocked my world and was really good, almost like reading my Bible, is "The Shack," by William Young. It's fiction, but it will change you like a nonfiction book does. I'm currently reading a lot of parenting books which mostly contradict each other, but are giving us a little wisdom nonetheless. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.