Saturday, February 7, 2009

resolutions

I usually do not make New Years Resolutions because I feel like it's just another goal I will feel like I can not achieve. You know, sometimes you set so many goals for yourself that life can be overwhelming and you feel like you are one big failure because you can't just achieve a couple goals and feel good about them because you have thirty more goals waiting in front of you.

I digress...this year I decided to make a New Years Resolution because it came easy to me. When we were in NJ over the holidays I enjoyed the rest and relaxation of reading so much that I decided this would be a great resolution. Not just reading more but making an effort to read more. Like turning off the tv and reading while enjoying some silence in my house. Or reading at bedtime to calm down from the day.

So I'm saying all of this just to say that my resolution is going GREAT! I have read 4 books since being at Andy's mom's house after Christmas. 4! That's more than I usually read in a year! I usually would only take the time to read in the car while we are on our 6 hour drive to NJ.

And all this reading is not just so I can say I have achieved a good goal. I'm really enjoying my new found relaxation. I actually read a whole book last weekend - in one weekend. I couldn't put it down - Andy helped a lot on that one, giving me time to relax and read on the couch while he and Drea played. (I have an awesome husband!) I have figured out what type of books I enjoy reading, too. That has helped a lot.

In case you enjoy reading also, here are my latest good reads: Through Painted Deserts by Donald Miller, The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck, Multiple Blessings by Jon & Kate Gosselin, and To Own a Dragon by Donald Miller.

1 comment:

Rich, Teresa and Kalee said...

Good for you!!! We have the same problem in our house - we never turn the tv off. Although, we won't have that problem for long...I think we have decided to not get cable when we move into the new house! We'll see how that goes...maybe more reading will happen here, too!