Friday, February 19, 2010

Addendum to Andy's post yesterday

Daddy finally went back to work today. After days and weeks not working...we feel really bad for him, poor guy. (Hear the sarcasm.)

Andy told me the other day that he wanted me to get a good paying job so he could be a stay-at-home dad. And it's no wonder why he and the children enjoyed it so much. If you read the blog yesterday, you understand why. :) Everyday when I came home from work Drea gave me the run down of all of the exciting things that Daddy did with her. This week besides all of the games Andy listed, they made gummy animals, they made snow cones, played princesses and Barbies most of the day, played Starfall, colored, and I'm sure I have forgotten some things.

So how come when daddys stay home, it's just so much fun. There aren't many chores that need completed or tasks that need done, only playing to be had and tons of fun! (Andy did wash some towels, dishes, and vacuuming at some point over the couple weeks.)

Today...today was mommy day. Drea is usually excited about mommy day but not as much today. She was into the shopping trip we needed to take. Then we came home, she had a bath (because she has dancing tonight), and then I told her it was time to rest quietly on her bed. After she had a complete breakdown about it. She climbed up on her bed with a couple toys and I went to lay Charlotte down for a nap. Now Andy did tell me how much trouble he had getting her to stay in her room to rest because she kept coming out and asking to play. I came out of Charlotte's room and heard Drea sobbing so I went in to check on her. She was sitting on the edge of her bed with the saddest face. She said Daddy let her keep the door open during rest time. And then while sobbing she said, "I miss Daddy!"

Oh, come on! I'm glad she was able to spend time with her dad for a while, really I am. I love that they were able to bond more.

So I will finish detoxing her for the rest of the day. :) I love you Andy!

4 comments:

young wife&mom said...

totally feel your pain stac...the boys love their 'daddy days' mostly becuase Dad plays with them ALL DAY LONG! HA. But I wouldnt have it any other way...;)

Dave said...

I think I read in a book that is how daddy's relate best to their kids. I think...course what do I know? Oh, no I remember what it was. It was saying that children bond right away with moms because of feeding/care as infants, but dad's bond is really cemented later through play. Kinda cool. I know from my job that kids can't concentrate on other developmental tasks if they are constantly worrying about safety and being cared for. I think that moms (in general) provide a lot of that sense of safety and well being from birth. Of course dads help, but mom is really the primary caretaker at first. So, in my thinking, as kids get older and have that strong foundation of feeling safe and secure they become more free to grow and learn through play, which is dad's specialty (especially when dad is a teacher!) Of course moms help here too, but this can really be a time from kids and dads to bond. I just think it is so interesting the way God created families to work! I'm so thankful that Drea and Charlotte have you two to give them a safe and loving home!!! Sorry, that was a really long comment!

Anonymous said...

Plus at my house Richard gets sooo much more involved in their play because he is really a big kid at heart. The other night Lydia and him were going back and forth about putting one another in snow and a mud puddle. I was laughing so hard because you couldn't tell who was the grownup. And then Brynn said, "I wish just the two of us lived together!" and rolled her eyes. lol

Rich, Teresa and Kalee said...

ha ha ha ha!!! oh my goodness do I understand what you are talking about! Thank goodness daddy is the major disciplinarian (sp?) in our house...that buys me a little goodwill from Kalee, from time to time!