Sunday, May 30, 2010

If you need a book to read........

I recommend this book by Donald Miller, it 's called A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. It is a very good and quick read and I always enjoy his work. I have read all of his books and they are always very entertaining and worth reading. The main idea of this book is creating a great story in your life, I would like to share an except from the book:

My friend Randy recently created a great memory with his daughter. When his daughter entered high school, she started to get more interested in girl things, and the two to them didn't talk as much as they used to. When she got asked to the prom, she was very excited. Her dad simply responded by saying congratulations. She quickly slid past him and jumped up and down in front of her mom. He didn't mean to be dismissive, but he didn't know what he was supposed to say. About a week later he was watching SportsCenter when his wife and daughter came home with the dress. They didn't say anything to him, knowing he wouldn't be interested, and went back to the daughter's bedroom so she could put it on. When she into the living room to show her dad, he turned down the volume and told her she looked nice, that it was a nice color, but when she curtsied and thanked him and walked away he knew he should have said more. He wanted to tell her that she was beautiful and that she was his princess and all the stuff fathers find so hard to say to their daughters. He turned the television back on and tired to pay attention to the scores, but all of this kept bugging him. Then he came up with an idea. He decided to create a memorable scene, if you will. He turned off the tv and went into his closet and put on his suit. Without letting his wife or daughter see him, he found the family camera and knocked on her door. When his daughter opened the door, she was still in the dress and her mother was sitting on the bed with stick-pins in her mouth. My friend said his wife almost swallowed the pins. "Honey", my friend said to his wife, "would you mind taking a picture of us?" "Daddy, you're wearing a suit," his daughter said, confused. "I want to look good in the picture too," he told her. The three of them ended up dancing in the living room until one in the morning, my and friend and his wife telling stories about their own prom dates and how they wished they would have known each other in high school. (pgs. 210-211)

I share this with you for a few reasons. One, I just think it is a cool story. Two, I like this story because I am a Dad of two girls and I know this day is coming. I hope I will always know the right thing to say and do. The reality is I probably won't, but this story touched my heart as most father/daughter stories do. Our two little ones are still a few years away until the prom and dresses and more importantly, dating, however, I know it will be he sooner and much quicker then I want. I could go on and on about them, and what it will be like and how I incredible it is to be a Dad, but I won't. I'll just end by saying this, take time for you loved ones, and if you get a chance pick up, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, and create your own story.

3 comments:

Woo-Hoo1 said...

I got to hear him speak last month in Atlanta at a conference and it definitely made me want to read the book. I've only read Blue like Jazz so I have some catching up to do, but am currently getting my summer reading list ready so I can always add more to it. Thanks for sharing.

Megan

PJ said...

Thanks a lot Andy, now I'm at work reading your blog post and crying! Not outwardly sobbing of course, but you get the picture. Thanks for writing. I always look forward to reading you and Stacey's posts! Love ya, bro. And by the way, you're an awesome dad, don't ever doubt it.

Anonymous said...

Hey, You think dating is far off, but Lydia told me that she has been dating Austin and Colby since she was 4. Ahhhh!!!!!
Karen