Tuesday, May 18, 2010

my girls

I love my girls. I love the way the are so alike and so different. When Charlotte was born, I thought I knew a lot about Drea already but I have started realizing that I'm learning more about her personality every day. Watching Charlotte's personality blossom has made Drea's more vivid, too.

The ways the girls are similar:

They are both NONSTOP. Seriously, they don't stop moving very often. (Even when they were both babies and nursing, they would look like they were doing gymnastics while they were eatting.) That's probably why I turned the TV on a little too much when Drea was little. I needed her to stop moving. And yes, she did become a zombie when it came on but they gave me a minute to get something done or breath. Now that I have two movers, I just turn the TV off more because I've come to the realization that they are going to just keep moving and I've just got to keep moving with them. Besides, Charlotte isn't interested in the TV much so it doesn't help. I've learned that I have to find activities to wear them out, keep them moving, because it's just more fun that way.

Drea and Charlotte both love being outside and playing. The both love to laugh and romp on the floor with Daddy. They are both super stubborn (one more than the other...I bet you can't guess which one.) And they both love reading. Books seem to be such a staple in our lives. I love that about them. They will stop anything they are doing to let mommy read them a book.





Alexandrea (Drea)

Drea is very much a character. She loves a good laugh, loves to make other people laugh and can giggle at anything. (She takes this after her father.) Aunt Jody always comments that she loves Drea's sense of humor. You can catch her giggling at the most random things and she can make Charlotte laugh in an instant. I pray that my girls will always be laughing together as they grow up.

In case you have never noticed, Drea has to have things a certain way. After doing something one way, it always has to be that way in the future. For instance, has she been to your house lately? Has she played with something specific, or eaten something specific at your house? She will forever relate that event with your house and think she should do that every time. Which brings me to another characteristic of hers, her memory. She never forgets anything. This has made her a great learner and I'm sure when she's in school she will appreciate this or at least her teachers will. One thing you will never be amiss with Drea is she knows what she wants and she will surely let you know. (My mom says she gets that from me. I guess I'm kind of bossy. Who knew? ha, ha, ha. )

Drea is a great big sister and a great family helper. Making breakfast for our family has become her way of serving us. She delights in being big enough to help mommy and daddy cook, take out the trash, and learn other household chores. This doesn't mean she's always interested in doing it. Sometimes playing is more fun than anything. But when Andy was putting our new Ikea furniture together she needed to be right in the middle of it. She would lug the heavy pieces of wood to her Daddy to be his little helper.

She loves playing with her friends, playing games, and dressing up! She loves doing crafts, playing outside, and going on any kind of adventure. She has lots of energy that she needs to expend every day. And loves thinking of fun ways to do that. She also loves to take pictures and they are usually really good. Drea is our picky eater. But usually if you can get her to try something, she will like it. She is stubborn enough though that she often won't try something to get dessert.

Beyond the normal bossy, sometimes whiny, and general 4 year old fun, Drea is a sweet, kind-hearted, good natured little girl who loves life, loves to talk, and loves to be around people who love her.

Below are a couple pictures you can enjoy of her.





Charlotte

Charlotte is a cuddler. When she gets up in the morning or from her nap she will usually just sit with her arms around my neck for a minute cuddling. She loves our dogs. She will give them hugs all the time. Throws her arms around them and gives them a big bear hug squeeze and you know what, they let her.
I was saying before that Charlotte loves to be outside like Drea. If one of the doors are open, she stands looking out the screen doors getting excited because she thinks someone is going to take her outside. Sometimes I take them out just because it's so cute. Her daycare teacher says she is one of their only kids who doesn't cry outside.

In case you hadn't figured it out yet, Charlotte is the one I was saying is the stubborn one. She is more determined and stubborn than Drea ever was. To Andy and I this seems hard to believe. We are constantly dragging her out of the dogs' food and water bowls. And it doesn't matter what we do she just goes right back. Offer suggestions if you want, but we've probably tried it. I pray that we can teach her to use this determination for good because it can be a great strength.

She has a definite ornery streak. You can find her often hitting her sister over the head with a brush, a barbie or anything she can find. And Drea just laughs. Doesn't help, huh. (That's what I told you about Drea, will laugh at almost anything.) Most people just say that Charlotte is paying Drea back all of the turture she endured as a baby from Drea dragging her everywhere or being a little extra rough with her. So hopefully this is just a payback stage. You can also see this ornery streak in some of the pictures below. Daddy and Drea were working on putting the Ikea shelves together...Charlotte, she was playing in the squares they had finished. You can see rotten written all over that "cheese" face.

Charlotte loves playing. Her main tasks right now are putting things into containers or putting things together. You can really see her concentrating on these tasks and learning how things work. She likes to take things apart and put them back together.

She loves to "cheese" for the camera, enjoys pulling the toilet paper off the roll when we have our backs turned, loves the bathtub (most of the time), and she loves...I mean, LOVES to eat! That kid can put food down. Sometimes we can't figure out how she has enough room for it all. Then she gets up and you see her big belly sticking out! It's so funny.

Here are some pictures of Charlotte below for your enjoyment.



6 comments:

Rich, Teresa and Kalee said...

What a great entry, Stacey. Your such a great momma!

Andy said...

Stacey, I love this blog. You are the best mom. I write some stupid blog about Ben and state testing and you write this beautiful entry about the girls. You're the best!

Anonymous said...

I love this section about each one. I hate to tell you this, but the paying back stage is a myth. Lydia is a lot more phyical than Brynn. Where Brynn solves problems by making people laugh and talking. (Sounds like Drea) Lydia uses her body.(more like T) Plus Brynn is more tolerant of others than Lydia. Lydia is also more determined(stubborn). No advice, because I still haven't found anything that works. (Let me know if someone gives you something you can use.) I pick my battles because she can wear me out if I am not strong when I say no. Lydia will say water a 1,000 times if she wants a drink at bed time and I have said no enough water. I can't wait to see you guys. I'm excited about Jared's wedding. Love ya, Aunt Karen

Anonymous said...

Andy,
But you wrote the Dear God entry. You are both wonderful parents. I love you both.
Karen

Dave said...

They are both very special. I love that you guys take the time to take pictures of these seemingly "ordinary" moments, like putting together furniture. What a treasure to have! You can tell that you really love spending time together as a family.

Gwenc5543 said...

What a keepsake for your girls---to see what they were like at this stage. They are fortunate to have parents like you both that celebrate all of who they are. Great post!