Monday, June 28, 2010

Its New to Us

We have a new couch! (I get excited about these kind of things.)

Well, okay...it's not "new" per say but it feels new to us. My mom gave us a barely used couch that she had and I love it. It's very comfortable and I like that both sides recline.

This got me thinking...Andy and I have had a lot of "used" furniture since we have been married.

Our first couch came with the house - it was my grandfather's! Since we bought his house, we inherited all of his furniture, which we loved because some are true treasures. My china cabinet, for instance, sits in the corner of my dining room and displays my grandmothers china. Also, Drea uses their chest of drawers in her bedroom. So there are still some of their pieces left.

Then we had friends who were throwing out their couch. Andy and I thought this was a perfectly good couch and asked them if we could have it. They said it was 12 years old. We didn't care because it would be new to us. So we probably had that couch for 4 or 5 years. Then when my mom offered her couch, we jumped at the chance to get something "new."

I say all this because I realize our family has enjoyed and been blessed by many things given to us! We always feel like we have something "new." We also have a dining room table my mom gave to us when we moved into our house. This table has definitely seen better days so we will probably be moving on from it soon. But that's okay because when it's time to get rid of these things you don't feel bad because they were free or cheap.

*Hopefully I can find a nice table at a yard sale or the auction. I have a great computer desk I found for a steal at a yard sale. You just never know what you are going to find.

1 comment:

young wife&mom said...

gotta love the garage sales! thats what i tell caleb..'you never know what youre going to find! thats the fun of it!'