Sunday, June 13, 2010

Mid-year resolution

The other day I was thinking...oh, I wish it was January because I would have a good New Year's resolution.

So why does it have to be January to make a resolution? I decided we are close to the middle of the year (can you believe that!) so I am going to make a mid-year resolution.

I am resolving to teach myself and my family how to better deal with our emotions. We have learned to scream and yell to express ourselves when we reach a point of frustration. I have recently viewed my children responding to a situation in the same way they have seen me respond. That really hit me hard. So I am turning a corner and want to see something better for my family. This may sound like the statement an abuser tends to make..."I promise I won't do it again." but that's not where I'm coming from.

I have prayed about this and experienced the differences. God showed me what sets me off specifically and how to deal with it and I think this will help tremendously. Drea and I had a tough day on Friday and then Saturday evening it all started again and I responded completely opposite and by the end of the evening we were hugging and saying nice things to each other without tears and regret for hurtful words. I know that God gave me that moment to teach me and I am ready to make a difference for my family.

I know some of you may be thinking "I can't believe you scream and yell at your children!" To you I must say, be thankful that you have been blessed in learning how to communicate well with your children. Some of us are still learning and I am thankful that God can walk with me and guide our family through this important lesson so that we may experience peace and love in our house and pass it on to people around us. Then our children might be able to show love to people around them. I thank God for giving us the opportunity to mold their hearts and minds in a way that will make them grow up to be incredible people!

In closing I ask that you pray for my family as God tries to train me and pass this on to my children. I know this will be a difficult task and I know I will probably mess up because I'm not perfect so your prayers will help. Resolutions usually don't last so I am going to make a plan with some short term goals rather than such a long "rest-of-the-year" goal. Thank you God for leading this change in our lives!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thank you for your transparent post. I too have had tough days with my kids and wished I could go back and do it over again. I will pray for you - and I really mean that.

m.wright said...

Oh how I wish I was not a yeller, but I too often struggle to keep my emotions under control and can see every flaw of mine in my kids lack of emotional control at times. Thanks for sharing and I will lift you up.

m.wright said...

Praying for you. I can relate as a fellow mother who is trying not to pass on my own lack of emotional control to my kids.

gwenc5543 said...

This post could have been written by me. I too struggle with this and my kids really know how to set me off. I also have reacted differently and I know what a difference that makes when I react the way that God wants me to react. It is just so hard to do that consistently!! I applaud your transparency and will be praying for you. Please do the same for me! Hugs!