Thursday, July 1, 2010

The difference between men and women

There are always fun debates about the differences between men and women. I have a new topic in this category: The differences between working with men or working with women.

At my old job, there were 130-some employees, probably only 10 of which were men. Well, ok...maybe only 10 when I first started...when I left they were probably up past the 20s. So I mainly worked around a bunch of women. Now at my new job, I work with 30-some men and only about 3 women. Wow, what a difference! Not necessarily bad either way, but I now notice the things I like about each.

Good things about working with women:
  1. They care about what I'm wearing.
  2. They care about what jewerly I'm wearing.
  3. Not only do they care about these things but they get excited about them and want to know if it's new or where it is from and what brand it is.
  4. You celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, babies, and anything and everything you can find to throw to throw a party and give presents.
  5. Along the same lines, we were always eating. Whether it was for one of the above events or just because we wanted to have a luncheon and eat ALL DAY.
  6. They say "God bless you" when you sneeze.

Differences about working with men:

  1. They don't care what fashionable, trendy, iconic item I have on. One guy in my office said to me the other day, "That is big necklace you are wearing." I wanted to say, "What? You mean you don't know what kind of jewelry this is? It's Viva Beads, goof ball! And if you were any of the girls I used to work with you would know that Tabetha gave it to me last christmas for our secret santa gift exchange. And they would remember that everytime they saw me wearing it." He didn't even notice that I had matching earrings in. :)
  2. I can win them over with food. I baked brownies at the end of my first week and wrote a note beside them that said "Help yourself to a brownie. Thanks for making my first week at CSC so great." I was the hit of the office. They talked about it all day. And I got bonus points for the beautiful handwritten note that I put on some lovely paper.
  3. No celebrating here. I'm pretty sure I'll never partake in an office luncheon. This may help me continue to eat healthy although there are some pretty awesome wives who bake goodies and send them in with their husbands.
  4. They tell it like it is. If you are not doing your job right or if you are doing a great job, they will let you know. I love that! It is so much easier if someone just lets you know they aren't happy with your performance. I know, people always say that everyone says that, but no one really wants to know they aren't doing a good job. I do. I promise. I want a chance to correct and make up for what I'm doing wrong. I can't get that chance if I don't know I'm not doing a good job.
  5. Some of them, and I do mean "some" not "all", are know-it-all, hotheads who really enjoy sounding like pompous jerks. :)
  6. No gossiping. Men don't really gossip, they just work. Again, some do, but not the majority.
  7. And a restroom all to yourself. There's rarely ever anyone in the restroom at the same time as me. It feels like my own suite with six stalls and 4 sinks - I could take a nap in there and no one would bother me. (I know, too much information.)

Have you ever noticed major differences about working with either? Share with a comment on our blog. (I'm sure Andy will have some good ones to share since he works with a majority female populous.)

No comments: