Monday, July 23, 2012

Bedtime Snack

Drea, Lilly, and Charlotte (sleeping).  Drea and Lilly having a bedtime snack.

On occasion the girls will ask for a snack while we read books at bedtime.  We try not to give them one because the feeling is they are just trying to do something to stay up later and not fall asleep.  So last night Drea says to me, "Daddy, I am really hungry can I have a snack?"  I told her,  "Look, Drea it's late, it's time for bed."  Drea proceeded to beg and plead with me about having a snack.  Again, I told her it was late and we had already read books and said our prayers and it was time for bed.  Of course the waterworks started and then she fell asleep. 

Fast forward to 5:30am this morning and someone tapped me on the shoulder, "Daddy, can I have a snack now?"  I told her to just wait a minute and I would get her one. I was thinking she would fall back asleep.  Nope.  Every five minutes she woke me up and asked for a snack.  Finally, I gave in and agreed to get her a snack.  I figured I could give her some crackers and she would go back to sleep.  Nope.  She wanted me to peel an apple and cut it in slices.  So there I was at 5:45am peeling an apple and slicing it up.  Do you want to know why?  BECAUSE I WANTED TO GO BACK TO SLEEP!  Guess what it worked.  She ate her apple and then she told me she was going to close her eyes for a little while and slept until 9am.  I guess I learned something, next time she gets the snack because sleep wins every time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It makes me think of you when you were a little kid, Andy. Once you were in bed, in 5 minutes or less, you were asleep. (Unlike your sister, who 3 hours later was still wide awake!) You, however, had every excuse NOT to go to bed because I assumed you didn't want to go there (bed, I mean). Anyway, one time you stood at the bathroom door & asked for a snack. When I refused you the request, your reply, very dramatically was, "Do I have to starve to death?!" You were so funny that I gave in! LOL! Love, Noni