Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

I love Thanksgiving.  I am pretty sure I always have.  I remember as a kid going to my grandparents and eating every Thanksgiving dinner with them.  The day would start with the boys (my grandfather, my dad, and me) going to watch Paulsboro and West Deptford play their annual Thanksgiving Day football game.  I don't think I can recall any game that Paulsboro didn't win.  That of course, was what we were hoping to happen.  While the boys were doing that, the girls were home preparing the dinner.  We would come home and watch the Macy's Day Parade.  Always.  Then of course, dinner, followed by more football.

I can't recall all of the things and people that showed up for dinner or even visited my grandparents home on that day.  I do recall that it was fun.  I remember the tradition of just being together and enjoying each other.  Isn't that what Thanksgiving is really about?

I like Thanksgiving for a variety of reasons.  However, for me it comes down to two things.  Food and Family.  The only thing better then the Thanksgiving dinner is the leftovers the next day.  You would think with as much as I love Thanksgiving food, I would eat it more times during the year.  Maybe that is why I like it so much.

Really, and in all seriousness, my favorite part is spending time with family.  It doesn't always go as planned.  Sometimes we fight, sometimes we don't see eye to eye, but that doesn't matter.  What matters is we are together.  As I look back on my childhood and my life, I have fond memories of Thanksgiving.  So today when you are spending time with your family, love one another and enjoy each others company.  Focus on what is important and put your differences aside.  My life hasn't gone the way I imagined, but as I write this, I thank God for everyone in my life and am grateful to be apart of my family. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving is a really good holiday for the reasons you said, Andy! Food and family! Good excuse to get together with only a few requirements, cooking and eating! I remember going to Pop Niessner's and before that going to Camden to your Great-grandmother Niessner's house. We made the glace (potato dumplings) and Dinty always stuck them in the back shed to cool before mashing and cooking, because the refrigerator was so full of food that there was not room left for anything else! Grandmom Rose's birthday was November 26th & sometimes Thanksgiving fell on her day, so we always thought of it as her holiday! There was more food that day than any other time! Lots of love and laughter, too!

Rich, Teresa and Kalee said...

Hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving!