Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Drea and Bad Words

The other day Drea and I were playing tickle fight and she says to me, "Daddy, I know cuss words."  My response was, "Really, what words do you know?"  In between tickles, Drea managed to share that she knew the "S" word.  Intrigued, I prodded some more.  "What S word are you talking about Drea?"  "Well, I can't say it, but it's S-H-"......At this point I stop tickling her and tell her she can just tell me what word it is and I won't be upset with her.  "Daddy, Shut Up is a cuss word and you shouldn't say it."  Trying not to laugh, I agree with her conclusion.  I then ask her if she knows any more cuss words.  "Oh, yes Daddy, the "F" word."  Now I was really curious.  "Drea, what's the F word?"  "You know, freaking."  Again, reinforcing that, freaking is not nice to say either, she then shares with me the other cuss words she knows.  "Daddy, you know, Oh My God, you can't say that, that would be using the Lord's name in vain.  And you can't forget Oh my Goodness, because it sounds like, Oh My God."  Out of the mouths of babes and I just had to laugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy mine know they are not the bad words any more. Thank you public school. But the good thing is they came to me to ask what they mean and we could have a good talk. I was glad they felt comfortable talking to their mom. Hope they continue to share everything with me.
Karen

Anonymous said...

When I taught a 3 year old pre-school class, a little girl informed me that the middle finger was the "bad" finger. I didn't say anything. I could tell she was thinking about what to say next, when she replied "what does holding up the middle finger mean". Trying to be diplomatic, I said "All I know is that it means "tall man" when we sing "Where is Thumbkin". The little girl looked at me with this look that you could picture a giant question mark of perplexion on her little face!