Sunday, October 27, 2013

Being Sisters

I have sisters, but I am not quite sure what it is like to be sisters.  However, I think it probably goes something like this...

Last week Charlotte was having trouble falling asleep.  This happens on occasion.  I was laying with her and we started to talk.  This is one of my favorite things.  I would prefer that she just fall asleep, but our best conversations usually happen then.  We were talking about a few different things, when I decided to ask Char who her friends were.  She rattled off 5 or 6 names of friends from school.  I then asked her, why they were her friends.  She again rattled off a bunch of reasons.  As the conversation was ending, I asked her if she had any other friends.  She named some people from church and then paused.  "Daddy, can I say Drea?"  I told her of course you can say your sister.  So she did.  It was a good conversation and I was happy to know why she was friends with her friends and proud that she included Drea.

The next night I decided to ask Drea the same question.  The main reason I wanted to ask her, was to try and get a feel for the type of kids she was hanging out with at school.  Again, it followed along the same lines as the night before with Charlotte.  Drea shared friends from school and church.  I asked her why they were her friends and  I was really listening to her responses.  I mean, this is what I wanted to know.  As she was wrapping it up, I said is there anyone else.  Just like Charlotte,  she asked, "Can I say, Charlotte?" 

Even though they don't always get along.  They fight over everything in the car.  One of them can't have something the other doesn't.  It is always a competition for everything.  What it comes down too, is regardless of all of that, they are each others friend.  No matter what.  So I guess that is what being sisters is all about.

3 comments:

young wife&mom said...

that's cool andy. having 2 sisters--here is what I tell Ben--sisters can fight, annoy each other and talk about each other...but when someone else slanders them, hurts them or annoys them..the claws will come out. its the sister bond--and eventually and hopefully the will be each others best and forever friends.

Anonymous said...

Andy,
It is no different than having a brother. They are your best friend, but your worse enemy. They know every thing about you good and bad. They know how to make you really mad, but they know just how to make you smile. Plus they always have a common bond because they don't want to be like mom or dad for many years and then one day they decide that is exactly who they want to be like.
Sisters are amazing. I see it every day.
Love your favorite older sister,
Karen

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wish I had a sibling, sister or brother, because of some of the reasons you mentioned. I think that despite the pain of fighting with siblings, it teaches a person something. It is okay to not get along sometimes, and still be friends. Love, Mom