Saturday, January 18, 2014

Sometimes that thing you don't want is pretty Amazing

Every Christmas my friends from small group and I do a Christmas gift exchange.  The gift exchange basically is all gag gifts with a few hotly sought after items.  Typically, the items that are desired are geared more towards the women.  Probably because they are the ones getting the gifts wrapped and ready to be exchanged.  Of course this year was no different.  However, there was one item that all the guys wanted.  To be fair some of the women wanted it too.  It was exchanged several times throughout the group, eventually ending up in my hand.  I was super excited and I thought, just maybe I could keep it.  What was it you ask?

It was none other then a gift card for Chick-fil-A.  It was perfect and it was going to be mine.  But, unfortunately someone else stole it and I got this...


I seriously felt like I got stuck with this stupid CD.  I don't even know who Matt Maher is.  I assumed he was a Christian artist based on the title, but I never heard of him.  Anyway, I guess it could have been worse, I could have received the bunny rabbit basket.  Come to find out, I knew a few of the songs.  I listened to it a few times, most of the time skipping most of the songs to listen to the ones I knew.  Then a few things happened.  The first thing was Drea knew the title track.  She got super excited and said, "Daddy, I know that song, we sing it at church on Saturday night!"  The second thing was I started listening to the entire CD.  Now, I can't stop listening to it.  It's great.  I am glad I got stuck with it and don't even care about that gift card.  Even though this is just a small thing, I encourage you with the bigger things that you feel like you have been stuck with.  It might be a job, a negative friend, your boss or spouse, and who knows what else.  Give it a chance, because you may find out what you have is pretty Amazing.

2 comments:

young wife&mom said...

good point. and I'm glad you liked the cd we bought! he's one of my favorite singers right now...

Gwen said...

This happened to me a few years ago in our group. You may remember me getting the Snowman Clock that sings a Christmas carol EVERY hour! My kids ended up loving it and it is one of their favorite Christmas decorations. This year I got Flo from Progressive, the Bobble Head. I think it has your name on it for next year. Charlotte and Drea will love it ;)