Thursday, January 23, 2014

Winter Break Extended

We have been bombarded with snow and cold temperatures here in north central West Virginia.  The last day we were at school was January 17th.  We had off Monday for MLK Day and have had snow days the rest of the week with another one coming tomorrow.  The outlook doesn't look good for the beginning of next week either.  Even with the cold and snow we have managed to stay busy. 

On Monday we made a trip to Walmart because I didn't have any food in the house.  I am thankful we did because we basically have been stuck in the house since then.  I usually like to take the girls out and play in the snow, but with the cold temperatures I thought it probably wasn't a good idea.  We did sneak out to Mountain Creative to finish a pottery project that Drea started a couple weeks ago.  The rest of the week we have stayed indoors.

In no particular order this is what we have done.  Polly pockets, monster high dolls, TV shows, movies, board games, card games, snow tub (this was a lot of fun, how could it not be, a tub filled with snow!), arts & crafts, indoor picnic, parties, playing the ipad, tablets, and computer.  On top of all of that, plenty of eating.

The neat thing about most of this stuff is the girls planned it on their own.  On Tuesday night when Drea learned we were not going to have school on Wednesday she decided Charlotte and her were going to have a picnic.  I wasn't invited :(  Drea and Charlotte both planned parties with snacks and presents.  I have told them repeatedly, how proud I am of them both for getting along so well.  I can not think of a time that I had to referee a fight or punish either one of them.  I really think they have enjoyed just relaxing and playing.

Tomorrow's plan is baking cookies and decorating them with homemade icing.  Then a little Wii dancing to work off the cookies.  Barring a cancellation, they have dancing in the evening and we will follow it up with movie night and popcorn.  We will round out our weekend with swimming at Healthplus and hopefully a fresh start to a full week of school.  But if not I am sure we can find something to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! Kids definitely need play time, as well as adults, I might add! My play in this weather is reading a book or going out to eat. The other alternative is Law & Order reruns, which I love and never tire of! LOL! Love, Mom