Wednesday, February 17, 2010

geniuses

I know everyone thinks their children are geniuses every once in a while. And even though it might be completely normal behavior for their ages, you just get so excited and proud of them that you really want to share.

So let this be a warning. If you don't want to hear and see a shameless plug for my geniuses then skip this blog entry.


Charlotte:

Our little munchkin just turned 11 months. She surprises us lately by a couple things she does.

I was in her room one night probably about a month ago and sitting on the futon in her room. She came up to me and started making her noises at me that I recognize as her come down on the floor with me. So I sat indian-style on her floor and she walked over to her bookshelf, picked out a book, handed me the book, and then turned around and sat on my lap. I almost jumped up and down. It was the sweetest thing ever. I can't believe that she knows that we read books before bed every night and can remember the actions that lead up to book reading.

And she has favorite books. Charlotte goes to her bookshelf and finds her peek-a-boo baby books almost every night. She has two that have flaps that cover up a picture of a baby. When Charlotte pulls the flap off to reveal the baby, she gets so excited and giggles about it.

Bringing things to us is one of her new things. Like her books, she brings us toys she wants us to turn on, the phone, the remotes... she seems proud of herself and wants to show us, I guess.

She knows how to get down off the couch.

She has been running away from Jersey when she has snacks in her hand. Until Jersey traps her and then momma comes to the rescue.

Cute video of Charlotte bringing a toy to daddy to turn on.




Drea:

Our big 4 year old has an incredible memory! We have been reading this cute book to her called Naughty Little Monkeys. There are 26 monkeys and all of their names start with a letter of the alphabet. And then it tells what each monkey is doing while their mommy and daddy are out of the house. The very last page of the book shows all the monkeys going to the zoo in one long line and each of their shirts has the letter of the alphabet that their name starts with on it. The last couple nights she has been naming every one of those monkeys on the last page. All 26 of them. And Andy and I don't even go through all of their names in a row like that on the last page. We only say them as we read every page. So she knows which letter goes with which name. She also has some of the pages memorized, too. You can watch the video below.


2 comments:

Rich, Teresa and Kalee said...

no doubt they are geniuses!!! Such precious times!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of all my grandchildren and how truly smart each one is. It is fun to see that each one has a special talent, too, that makes them unique. I missed the boat with my own children prior to age one. I never realized that I could read to them & they would understand. Actually, I didn't have many interesting toys for them at that age either, especially for Karen. She being the oldest, we had few toys for her until her birthday. She had stuffed animals & a couple of Fisher Price things, but honestly there was not much to chose from at that time & we had very little money to boot. Know wonder she was so bored. I spent alot of time outdoors with her which did help. When Andy came we had more toys but I still didn't read to him either. Laura got the benefit of her siblings toys & books, plus she was dragged to school, sporting events, scouts, cherub choir, etc. But while I feel a bit sad that I was oblivious to some things when they were babies, all of them turned out okay, despite my lack of experience and knowledge. What I did give them, my love and devotion, seemed to sustain them I guess. Love, Noni