Monday, July 15, 2013

The National Zoo Redo

The very first time we visited with the Hoffmasters we went to the National Zoo.  Remember this?  http://wvniessners.blogspot.com/2012/08/we-went-to-zoo.html So if you know the girls, you know once you do something with them, they think that is what you are supposed to do every time.  This is one of those things that I don't mind doing over and over.  We have yet to see the entire zoo, so there will probably be another trip at some point in the future.  The main reason we have yet to see the whole thing is because it has rained both times we have been there.  One of the great things about the National Zoo is it is free.   I guess technically it isn't free since we ride the Metro into the city, but that is another aspect I enjoy. 

As a kid, we didn't take public transportation, ever.  I am pretty intimated with it.  I really want the girls to not be scared to take adventures and try new things, hopefully using public transportation as kids won't scare them as adults.  I should be clear, it isn't riding the train or the people or anything.  That doesn't bother me, in fact I had a great conversation on the Metro with some guy about Elijah.  The whole ticket buying part is what freaks me out.  It is really stupid if you ask me, but I don't want people to think I do not know what I am doing or get on the wrong train.  Enough about that, on to the pictures and the fun.


Waiting on the Metro to start the day

Drea, Char, and Isak on the Metro

Drea, Elijah, and Char on the Metro


Charlotte's view while she was riding the Metro

The girls playing in the fountain

This fountain is on the way to the zoo

Finally in the Zoo

Zebras


The cheetah sleeping

Elk

The red panda sticking out his tongue, probably because of this http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/06/25/missing-red-panda-from-national-zoo-found-in-dc/


Complete with chips in hand posing with the red panda statue

Aunt Sarah, Charlotte, and Elijah saying cheese

Drea's Favorite

Charlotte's Favorite


This was during one of the three rain storms, I do not know if you can tell or not, but it is pouring while we are watching the seals swimming around.  Thankfully we are undercover and somewhat dry.


The sun came out for this picture, then it started to rain, again and
we headed back inside to see the octopus


The Octopus

We finally gave up and headed for home

This picture sums up the end of the trip, cold, wet, and exhausted
 There is an obvious difference between the beginning of the trip and the end of the trip, but it's hard to complain about a fun filled day at the zoo.  I am sure at some point in their lives the kids will look back and talk about the time they went to the zoo and it poured.  Here is hoping to many more zoo trips and fond memories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that zoo and what great memories when I accompanied you last summer! I love seeing the pics of everyone, animals, the kids, etc. The one of Charlotte at the end was priceless and said a thousand words! LOL! You probably never road public transportation as a child because there wasn't any (or very little) where we lived. When you live in the middle of a soy bean field the chances are little that you will find the metro! LOL! If it helps, when I was young and road the bus you dropped coins in a container or bought bus tickets for a week! So different! Glad you all had fun despite the rain! Seems like that's all it does this summer! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Excuse my grammar, I wrote road instead of rode! I hate that when I mess up the grammar. Guess I didn't "spell check" myself very well! I kind of wig out with the machines trying to buy tickets. It gets better with practice though! Love, Mom